Police Department Recruitment and Selection
It is the policy of the Narragansett Police Department that successful applicants are chosen from a diverse candidate pool reflective of the available workforce of the State of Rhode Island, that all applicants have equal opportunity for employment and that those appointed as police officers are the most highly qualified.
The following qualifications shall be necessary for anyone to be eligible for the Narragansett Police Department:
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must be a resident of the state upon appointment;
- Must be 21 years of age or older upon appointment;
- Height must be proportionate to weight;
- Vision must be not less than 20/30 correctable to 20/20 and must be able to distinguish colors;
- Must have a valid unrestricted state driver’s license upon appointment;
- Must have a minimum of 60 college credit hours or
- Two consecutive years of honorable active duty or reserve military service or
- One-year full-time employment as a police officer, corrections officer or equivalent law enforcement experience at an agency with arrest powers by the date of application.
The hiring process initially involves three phases: a physical fitness test, a written exam, and an oral interview. Candidates who successfully pass all three phases will be selected by the Chief of Police for a background investigation. For further information on our hiring process, please see our Recruitment and Selection Policy here POLICY
Physical Agility Test
The Narragansett Police Department does administer the oral interview. The department will contact applicants with an oral interview date.