Police Department Recruitment Process
Recruitment events will be held on a biannual basis to coincide with the two Rhode Island Municipal Police Academy sessions. Physical fitness tests and written exams will be conducted in January and July. When a date for the fitness test and written test is determined, those who have notified us of their interest in the testing process will receive an email notifying them of the date, time and other pertinent information.
Apply at or get notification of upcoming openings at PoliceApp
Fit to Serve
Applicants who have successfully passed a Fit to Serve fitness test (www.fit2serveri.com) will be exempt from taking our physical fitness test. If you have passed the Fit to Serve fitness test, you will be able to upload the certificate with the application. If we do not receive it, you will have to participate in both tests.
In order to participate in our fitness test, a Fitness Test Medical Certificate must be completed and dated within six months of the fitness test. This certificate clears the candidate for fitness testing. Failure to provide this completed form will disqualify the candidate and the application fee will be forfeited.
The fitness testing will be conducted using the entrance standards set forth by the Rhode Island Municipal Police Training Academy.
• Must be a citizen of the United States;
• Must be a resident of the state upon appointment;
• Must be between the ages of 21 and 35 upon appointment;
• Height must be proportionate to weight;
• Vision must be not less than 20/30 correctable to 20/20 and must be able to distinguish colors;
• Must have a valid unrestricted state driver's license upon appointment;
• Must have a minimum of 60 college credit hours or two consecutive years of honorable active duty military service.